Skip to content

Home destroyed Sat. night

Fire destroyed a mobile home south of Cairo Saturday evening but, luckily, no one was injured in the blaze.
The mobile home is one of several buildings on the property at 2136 Highway 93 South, and a noise from the fire alerted someone nearby that the double wide was burning.
Grady County Volunteer Fire Chief Wayne Hadden says the fire was reported at 10:01 p.m., and the first units were on the scene within four or five minutes. “It was completely involved,” Hadden says of the scene when firefighters arrived, “there was fire from one end (of the mobile home) to the other and all in between.”
Volunteer firefighters from Midway were the first to arrive, and were soon joined by volunteers from Beachton, Pine Park and Cairo. At the height of the fire, Hadden estimates there were 40 volunteer firefighters at the scene. “It was a pretty aggressive attack to knock the fire down,” he says.
Unfortunately, the mobile home was lost to the blaze with the floor and roof burned away in the majority of the house, according to Hadden.
A state fire marshal ruled the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical problem in a bedroom.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours to make sure all hot spots were extinguished.

Leave a Comment